Saturday, August 29, 2009

20. Monkey

Before leaving Mineola, EuEarl decided to show KC where he'd gone to school his 5th & 6th grade years. It was late Saturday afternoon & at Mineola Elementary there was no sign of Life. " Pretty much the way I remember it ! ", EuEarl said , laughing ! In fact, after a rough start, he'd actually come to enjoy school & the friends he made there. He'd always miss his Granny Ella & his boyhood in Louisiana, but there was no denying that in marrying Harold Warsette , EuEarl's mom had taken a huge step up the Mineola Social Ladder ! From part-time stenographer to wife of the Vice-President of Mineola Texas East Bank in 6 years was no small accomplishment! So what if it took her another 4 years to bring her own son to live with her ? He was just in the next state over, which was more than some mothers could say ! And she always sent him a new picture of herself every Christmas !



They couldn't go inside, so EuEarl showed KC around the grounds, sharin' memories of this & that as they walked. " First time I kissed a girl with tongue was behind the library here. Celia somethin' or other. She was a fast thing, let me tell ya. Couldn't keep up with me, though !", he grinned.
" Bet you was sent to the Princ'ple's office ever day, boy !" KC said smiling.
" Often enough. Too much for my mama's likin' ! " EuEarl let out a loud "WHOO, HOO !!" & grabbed KC's hand ! " Over there ! The ol' monkey bars !!" He dragged KC along, nearly liftin' the retired roper out'a his boots ! " KC ! Man, this was my favorite place to be ! Boy's Country totally ! No girls allowed ! Me & my friends , we'd play, cuss, fight ! Shoot ! Raisin' all kinds'a Hell ! Whatever we wanted ! No adults to boss us around . No girls to tattle on us !! Just little assholes playin' monkey bar games , being free !!" Underneath the high bars, he lept up & grasped the first black steel rung. He'd done a complete crossing from end to end before KC joined him.
" Didn't have no monkey bars at muh school in Greeley," KC said, meeting his guy half way, " But if yew wanna teach me, bet'cha I kin play monkey games, too. "
Suspended above ground, they stared at each other for a bit. " I love you, KC ." , EuEarl said simply, but more confidently than he had ever said anything before.
" I know. " the cowboy said, eyes locked onto his mate's. " An' yew cain't help but know I luv you !"
" Oh, baby, I know. I know. " Then a smirk slowly began to form on EuEarl's lips.
" So, cowboy, ready t'get monkey ?! "

No comments:

Post a Comment